Rockville Public Library
Frequently Asked Questions
Because of the recent expansion of service area, any resident or property owner in Parke County (except those served by The Montezuma Library) may have a RPL library card.
On your next visit to the library, located at 106 N. Market Street in Rockville, bring verification of your current address (utility bill, bank statement, etc.), a contact telephone number and photo identification. A library staff member will provide you with a card.
Your Rockville Public Library card entitles you to check out books, eBooks, DVD movies, and video games. You can also use it to obtain reciprocal cards; these cards may be used to check out materials at participating libraries. RPL has reciprocal arrangements with many other public libraries throughout the State of Indiana through the Statewide Reciprocal Borrowing Covenant. Area facilities include: Montezuma Public Library, Clinton Public Library, Putnam County Public Library, Covington Public Library, Kingman Public Library, Brazil Public Library, Darlington Public Library, Crawfordsville Public Library, Ladoga Public Library, Waveland Public Library,Vigo County Public Library, Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library, and many others. Each library issues its own ; for a statewide list see www.in.gov/library/files/RBCOVENANTS01312011.xls -> Back to top
Yes. In order to provide more services to the community we do charge for services, such as:
Cardholders have a limit of 6 books, 4 magazines, and 2 videos. Videos check out for 3 days, everything else checks out for 2 weeks. All items can be renewed by phone.
Overdue fines are $1 day per tape; for everything else the fine is 10 cents per day, per item.-> Back to top
Yes! Using the ID number on your card you can log in and see what is checked out to you and when it is due.
Directions-> Back to top
Yes! Our catalogue is available online as well!
Directions-> Back to top
You'll need your username and password to login. Your username will be your patron id number (or the barcode on your card). You will need to enter "p" before you enter the number. If you have problems call the library.-> Back to top
The password will typically be your last name in all lower case.-> Back to top
Absolutely! You may contact our Genealogy Department for information searches. Our genealogy collection does not circulate but copies can be made. (Note: It is fifteen cents per black and white copy or twenty-five cents per microfilmed copy. If you want copies mailed to you, please send a large self-addressed, stamped envelope along with a check or money order for $1.00 per page copied.) Our genealogy collection includes:
One meeting room is available for non-profit organizations and public meetings. Reservations are required. Please inquire at the upstairs desk to reserve a room or call the library.
Where is the Rockville Public Library?
Rockville Public Library (RPL) computing resources (wireless Internet and computers) shall be used for educational, informational, and recreational purposes only. No unauthorized, illegal or unethical activity, including violation of copyright permitted. Illegal acts involving RPL computing resources may be subject to prosecution by local, state or federal authorities.
Failure to abide by these standards or violation of the policy listed below will result in the loss of computing resource privileges for six (6) months for the first offense; possible permanent removal for second offense. Rockville Public Library is the sole arbiter of what constitutes violation of the RPL acceptable use policy.
1. No computer/Internet use if patron or member of household has a fine or overdue library material (there is only one library card per household).
2. All computer users must sign in at circulation desk and provide requested information.
3. Patrons must be at least 10 years of age or be accompanied by an adult.
4. 45 minute computer use limit if someone is waiting - may be adjusted if patron is working on a project.
5. Limit of one user per workstation at a time. Exceptions must be approved by library staff.
6. Patrons may not access pornography, chat rooms, instant messaging, social networking (My Space, Facebook, etc), violence and hate speech, gambling, illicit drugs or other objectionable sites. Exhibition of obscene matter is a Class A misdemeanor and can be a Class D felony in Indiana (IC 35-49-3-1).
7. Patrons may not access computer hard drives, install programs, or turn computers off.
8. Patrons will be charged 25 cents per page for all computer generated printing.
9. Rockville Public Library (RPL) does not provide any security or protection for credit card numbers, account numbers, e-mail passwords or protection of personal private information submitted. The RPL assumes no responsibility in this regard.
10. The Rockville Public Library board reserves the right to revise all policies at any time.
Rockville Public Library selects materials for its collection by the following criteria (not in any order of importance):
Materials are selected by the library director. Suggestions from staff, board members, and patrons are very important.
Still have questions?
You may ask at the desk or call the library for more information. Our contact information is above.